I was doing research on the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge and while looking through the book The Bridge- A Celebration I came across this picture of the bridge's Chief Engineer, Joseph Strauss, and his dachshund! I couldn't find any other information on this little one so if anyone knows, please tell me!
Interesting facts about the bridge:
- Construction was started on January 5, 1933 and opened on May 27, 1937
- At the time the 6,500 foot span was the longest suspension bridge built
- There are approximately 600,000 rivets in each tower
- Construction workers were the first to be required to wear hard hats
- The Half-Way to Hell club consists of the 19 men who were saved by the safety net
- Each tower contains 21,500 tons of steel
Improvements are commencing on the southeast plaza to help enhance the experience and the history of the bridge. The gateway enhancements will open on May 27th!