We always have an abundant amount of sweet potatoes around so when I saw this recipe for Healthy Sweet Potato Treats over on Ammo The Dachshund's blog we had to give it a try. Not once, not twice, but three times so that's why this post is so late. Foyle ate the first batch off of the stove, I burnt the second batch, and finally the third batch came out perfect. Trial and error, but at least you can learn from my mistakes.
All you need are two ingredients, sweet potatoes and chicken broth, and you are ready to go!
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 qt of chicken broth, low sodium
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (I used 375 because 400 burned them, but adjust as needed)
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1/8" rounds. I used the thin slice on my mandolin to make them consistent.
- Quickly put the potato chips into the chicken broth and soak for 30 minutes. Cover the chips with broth so they are not exposed to air, they'll turn brown when you cook them if they aren't.
- Drop chips onto parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 18-25 minutes, checking frequently, until crisp on the edge and chewy in the middle. (Next time I'm going to lower the temperature after the initial 18 minutes as low as the oven can go and see if I can get them a little bit drier)
- Refrigerate and use within a few days, or freeze for later.
Remember! Talk to your veterinarian before you make this treat if your dog has allergies or health issues.