I think I have to run to the grocery store this afternoon and get more squash because almost all of the butternut squash we made this morning is gone! This is one recipe that will have both you and your dog picking at all day long! We saw in on Pinterest a while ago and it was originally pinned from the Doggy Dessert Chef's page but we really have to thank Sugar The Golden Retriever who posted this recipe on her Tasty Tuesday section.
We adapted the recipe slightly by adding some cinnamon to one batch and McCormick spices to another batch, but really you could use almost any seasoning that you have lying around to make it more flavorful. Careful not to use onion powder and too much salt, both of those could impact your dog's health.
- Buy 1-2 Butternut Squash. 1 squash makes @ 45-60 chips.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Peel the outer skin off of the butternut squash and cut the ends off.
- Scoop out the seeds and wash off the stringy mess.
- Cut the squash into thin slices (we used a mandolin cutter on the thin slice setting) and arrange on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes... or longer depending on how chewy/crispy you want your chips. Cool, then enjoy!
- Keep extras (if there are any!) in the refrigerator or freeze for later!
Looks at those yummy chips! Doesn't hurt to have your house smelling like cinnamon also! Foyle was so excited that he broke through the kitchen gate and set his big head on the table waiting to get a taste. Even the dachshunds took a few big chips and ran out of the kitchen to eat them without a big head drooling all over their faces! Yum!
As always, if your dog has allergies or specific dietary needs check with your veterinarian before you make these treats!