For the past month I've been staying up late reading, waking up early to do homework, doing research during my lunch break, and learning a lot more about the ins and outs of becoming a better blogger from the Blog Boss e-class taught by Holly Becker from Decor8. It's been an incredibly informative class and I already have several pages of notes on how to make improvements which will keep me busy for the next year at least!
Our last homework assignment, which was to find 8 blogs that rock, really made me hone in on what I like as far as layout, style, and writing techniques go on other blogs and I found out that I have a definite style that I gravitate towards. Very clean, modern layouts with lots of negative white space, simple graphics with lots of color, and amazing photographs or illustrations. I focused mainly on dog blogs that inspire me so here is my list and links:
- Oscar Ate My Muffin- The most unique and creative dog blog I've seen due to Natalya's illustrations of her Ridgeback throughout her posts. I love that personal touch that I don't think any other dog blog has that I have found. The layout is clean and simple and highlights her talents in the banner and throughout the blog.
- My Life In Blog Years- The first blog I check every day! Seriously, Elizabeth has such a great sense of design and she has inspired me to keep working on improving my skills in photography. I love the clean look of her blogs- they are well balanced, uncluttered, and incredibly informative. But, it's the photographs and content that are personal, informative, and fun to read.
- Puppy Tales- This Australian blog is one of the few blogs that has a lot of content, but is very organized and easy to read. I like being able to see multiple posts at once and to see the highlights at the top of the page.
- House of Harvey- Drool worthy, modern layout that really puts the focus on her beautiful photographs and graphic design skills. I love the series she has developed like Breed Love, and Pup Profile, but the Dog It Yourself tutorials are amazing. This really leaves me with blog envy.
Here is my list of other non-dog related blogs that I think rock:
- The Making Home
- Pret a Voyager (I read this for hours last night!)
- Tiger In a Jar and Olive Us (beautiful videos!)
- The Forrest Feast
- 52 Suburbs (amazing photographs & theme)
- 17 Apart
Here are some links to help you make your blog rock too!
- Setting Up Your Blog- Which Platform Should I Chose?
- The Basics of Beginning To Guest Post
- Building an Online Community
- Easy Steps to Writing a Good Bio and How To Write a Good Bio
- Interactive Guide to Blog Typography
- Rena Tom- Creative business advice
- How to take a bio picture for your blog
- 10 Steps to Writing a Unique Bio
- For Bloggers By Bloggers- tips and tricks
- A Beginners Guide to SEO
Do you have a list of your favorite blogs that rock? Why do you think they rock? What do you find important and what works on other blogs? Do you find yourself leaning towards a particular blog design? What's your favorite dog blog? I highly recommend signing up for the October Blog Boss class! You'll learn so much about how to create a unique, personal, and interesting blog that attracts more readers. Look for more changes coming up on NewfandHound!