Today's Snackerday treat happened to "mysteriously" disappear off the counter when I went to download these pictures so I think they were a big hit today! I've been trying to think of a recipe that would use up more vegetables and when I found the Take-Out Royalty recipe from Bubba Rose Biscuit Company Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook I knew this would do the trick. It's quick, easy, and definitely hit the spot for all the dogs!
Ingredients: (adapted from the Bubba Rose recipe)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran (original recipe called for oat bran)
- 1 cup ground turkey (cooked, original recipe called for chicken)
- 1 cup pureed broccoli
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place broccoli in a food processor and pulse into extra small pieces
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly until dough forms. I may look crumbly but mix with your hands and it will blend well together.
- Using melon baller, form into 1" balls by rolling dough in your hands.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Balls can be placed close together, they won't spread when cooked.
- Bake for @25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let treats cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
As for the counter surfing I think we all know who the culprit was and apparently he didn't mind getting caught because he kept going back, sniffing the counter for any crumbs left over. These treats are definitely given 4 paws up and I have a feeling I'll be making another batch tonight!
As always please check with your veterinarian before feeding your dogs these treats in case they have special diet restrictions or allergies.