For six years we were a small dog family consisting of three to four dachshunds ranging from 10 lbs to 13 lbs and we lived in a small dog world. They fit in small crates and traveled in small bags, wore small collars and ate small meals. They all fit in the bed and were easy to walk together, even all their crates fit in the car when we traveled!
Then one day we went from 10 lbs to a 23 lb puppy that would eventually take an XXL crate, a 21" collar, and required a new Eurovan to be transported in comfort. We now live in a big dog world and I have to say that the dachshunds probably benefit the most. They have larger beds to lay on, more food crumbs lying around to munch on, and a Newfie that watches over them at all times.
For the most part we've managed to keep harmony between the dogs with the exception of the occasional dachshund being stepped on by accident, but I've found that if you can share gear it saves space and money. Here are a few links to help you with your big dog/small dog house too:
- West Paw Design has durable beds and toys that will withstand big paws and little mouths.
- Kong Interactive Toys- I've seen Hazel carry Foyle's Genius Mike all over the house when he's done.
- BarkBox- I know we wrote about them last month but all the dogs have played with the toys from the large dog box.
- Nina Ottosson interactive toys keep everyone busy during rainy days.
- I've found that a hands-free leash is great to hook on Foyle when I walk all the dogs at once.
- Move over Subaru because we've decided that the EuroVan is the car to have if you have multiple dogs! It's roomy, flexible, can fit loads of gear, and great for traveling.
Do you live in a big dog/small dog world too? What do you find useful for both sizes?