Oh honey are these dog treats sweet! But oh so yummy! I have a few bags of sweet potatoes lying around in the kitchen so I decided to research different ways to make dog treats out of them since the girls are on a restrictive diet for the next few months. I saw this twist on my typical sweet potato chip on Sugar's page so we tried them out this afternoon but put our own spin on them.
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon of ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon of nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 cup of honey
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large pot boil water until it is rolling and boil sweet potatoes 15-20 minutes or until a fork pierces through to the middle.
- Carefully cut 1/4" slices and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
- Lightly sprinkle each piece with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Drizzle honey lightly over each sweet potato piece.
- Bake for one hour, flip pieces over, then bake for another 1-2 hours or until slightly firm yet still chewy. (Mine actually took about 4.5 hours because I had large pieces)
- Let pieces cool, they'll become a bit harder as they get cold.
Whoa! I was photo-bombed because a certain large dog couldn't wait for me to take his picture so I know that these are pretty tasty! Foyle keeps sneaking back into the kitchen for more so I have a feeling they'll be gone by tomorrow and I'll need a new batch! Go ahead and try them and let me know if your dogs liked them too!
As always, check with your veterinarian before you feed these treats to your dog in case of allergies or a restricted diet. Snack safely!