Are you and your dogs experiencing the strange heat wave/cold wave that suddenly came on in northern California? Last week it was 90+ degrees and this week we're back to 60+/- degrees! Go figure! Well, when it starts to heat up we're all looking for ways to help our dogs chill out and cool down. So, to prepare for the inevitable summer heat that will be back soon I've rounded up a list of cool treats for the dogs (ok, maybe for me too) that I'm looking forward to making:
- First stop is over to Sugar The Golden Retriever's blog to check out recipes like Banana Yogurt Frosty Holes and Frosty Yogurt Berries Bone Parfait!
- We've all seen recipes for making your own frosty paws but my favorites are Tinker's Homemade Frosty Paws, Layered Strawberry Frosty Paws, Power Pooch Smoothie (frozen), and these Frozen Dog Treats.
- Looking for something different? Try these Apple Yogurt Freezies, Paw-ty Punch, Poochie Pupsicles, and Pumpkin Ice Cream.
- Want to make your frozen goodies a little more fun? Check out ice cube trays shaped like dachshunds, Scottie dogs, paw prints, and bones.
- I've also seen these chilled water bowls that look great for the summer months. but you can still provide cold water with a big block of ice in a larger water bowl. Just be careful your Newfie doesn't dig it out and let it melt all over the floor!
- After a long day you can just kick back with a beer, one for you, and a Bowser Beer for your dog!
What's your favorite way to keep your dog cool during the long summer months?