The temperatures are rising quickly this weekend so I whipped up a batch of these frosty Blue Banana Bites this morning so we have a cool snack this afternoon. It's perfect because it has two of Ernie's favorite foods: bananas and yogurt. We have a ritual in the morning where Ernie gets my cup of yogurt after I'm done with it and immediately trots away with the cup hanging from his mouth so he can finish it up in private. Then Foyle grabs the empty cup and comes over to ask me to fill it up with his treats. It's a nice recycling habit that the two of them have developed.
- 2 bananas (or more if you want to make a big batch)
- 1 cup of blueberry yogurt (or your dogs favorite flavor, be careful of the sugar content though, make it as low as possible)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped almonds (you could use low fat granola too)
- Cut bananas into 1/4" pieces. If you have ripe bananas it helps to freeze them for about 20 min. or so they don't fall apart
- Finely chop up almonds
- Dip the bananas in the yogurt then the almonds then drop them onto a sheet lined with parchment.
- Freeze for a few hours until yogurt is solid and enjoy!
The Blue Banana Bites must satisfy that need for something cool to eat because even Foyle was standing there waiting for them, and he pretty much refuses to eat any type of fruit. Blueberries once in a while, but never bananas, yet he ate 5 in a row! Ernie devoured his own stack and the girls got their fair share so all the dogs were happy with these today. They'll taste even better when it really heats up this afternoon!
As with all our Snackerday treats please ask your veterinarian if they are appropriate if your dog has allergies or a restricted diet. Not all dogs can digest almonds or yogurt so substitute wisely.