"Look at that pooch!" Whenever someone says that I'm quick to look down, not at my dog, but at my stomach to see if my shirt has ridden up and is showing off a bit more than I would care for anyone in the world to see. You know how that goes sometimes when you lean over to pick up a leash, or to pick up after your dog, or to haul them up into the car, sometimes you show off more than you intended to and not in an attractive fashion. The dogs aren't looking so hot either and as they age I'm getting more concerned about their backs, so together we're all starting our Pooch vs. Pooch 21 day health challenge!
Our goal is not only to shed some weight but to get stronger and increase our endurance. To do this my personal goal is to eat healthier and follow a meal prep plan, and exercise at least 5 days a week that includes cardio and weights. For the dogs I'm going to focus on walking a minimum of 30 minutes a day, cutting back on store bought treats, and adding in more training exercises to work their minds and their bodies at the same time.
Feel like joining us on our journey? Here are some tips that I've bookmarked and people that I'm following:
- Fitness & Training Exercises Pinterest board that I started so I can switch it up at the gym each time I train. The bonus is that I've been looking for body weight exercises that you can do anywhere, anytime.
- Pumps & Iron: Nicole is a certified personal trainer that has does an amazing job at putting together workouts and solid fitness/nutrition advice.
- PopSugar Fitness is another site that has easy to follow videos and new ideas.
- FitMenCook.com is a meal prep site I just found over the weekend and it is so easy to follow, plus there is a YouTube channel and an app!
- For more meal prep ideas check out #mealprep on Instagram and Pinterest, so many recipes and having your food ready to grab and go in the morning keeps you on track and gives you much healthier options during the day.
- On Instagram: Quickfitworkouts, Home-squats, Mytrainercarmen, and Gymsecrets are some of my favorite finds to switch it up at the gym.
Now for the dogs! Here are some exercises that I'm going to work on with them also:
- How to Turn a Dog Walk Into a Dog Challenge (keep it low for the small dogs though!)
- FitPAWS USA has some great exercises using their balance equipment and luckily I have some left over from Foyle's physical therapy!
- 6 Workout Moves To Do With Your Dog- I like the reverse lunge move!
- 7 Moves You Can Do With Your Pets- Definitely adding these into my set!
- High Five For Fitness- I think Hazel will like this exercise, she's a pro at the low five.
So, on to day one of our challenge. You can check in at the end of the week to see how we did, I'll try and photograph as much as possible, and please feel free to join in or drop us a line for moral support!